Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Adventure Begins Here...

Day 0

It is 9:00 and we are on a layover in Chicago, getting up at 4:00 am and not arriving in Lima, Peru until midnight makes for a very long day- especially if you have a cold (which I do). After a busy Christmas break of going on a cruise and visiting my dad in Houston, I had 5 days to pack for this 4-month trip. Oddly enough, I have not really felt any anxiety or nervousness leading up to it. I am finally doing what I have been looking forward to since my junior year of high school, it only took me until my senior year to finally do it! I plan on 2016 being the best year yet, and I know that's very cliche to say, but it has to be, right!? Not only am I studying abroad, but I am graduating in May after only 4 years (don't ask me how I did it because I'm still trying to figure it out for myself). Oh, and I get to skip the nasty Nebraska winter for a sunny and be achy destination, I'd say I'm pretty happy about that. My Spanish skills on the other hand, are a little rusty so I am hoping it floods to me as soon as I step foot off the plane- okay maybe not, but I do plan on it becoming easier through the months.
A little low-down on my trip for those who don't know (or are like my family and ask the same questions every other day). I am living in Lima, Peru for 4 months to study Spanish (finishing my Spanish minor). I will be living with a family there who live only 2 minutes away from the school (pretty awesome). Three of my classes will be in Spanish by local professors and one will be by Dr. Amundson from UNK who is in Peru with us. I will be back May 3rd, just a few days before my graduation! How exciting!

Things I will miss:
1. My mom: As hard as it was to say goodbye to my "sister" (my step-brother actually confused us last night, much to her delight), I have to realize I've been away from her multiple times for months at a time. In high school and college, so it's pretty much the same thing, just with more distance, right?
2. The rest of my family: I have a pretty close family and even though I don't see my extended family or my dad or my little brother that often, we still keep in contact a lot, which won't change with this trip. Plus, that's what Skype is for!
3. My friends: Even though I didn't get to see everyone one last time before I left, I am still excited to Skype them and tell them everything.
3. My dogs: Because, duh.
4. Air Conditioning: Planning on getting a fan ASAP.
5. Bagels: I love bagels and the one I ate in the airport just now was a huge let down for my last one.
6. Ketchup and Ranch: Apparently they don't have either of these/ they are really bad, and if you know me I love these things a whole lot.
7. English: It will be very odd not being surrounded by my natural language, but exciting I'm sure.

What I'm looking forward to:
1. Adventure: By living in a new country, I'm bound for it.
2. Trips: Machu Picchu being only one of the destinations we will visit during our months, I cannot wait to explore the beautiful and diverse country of Peru!!!
3. Spanish: As much as I have complained about Spanish classes in the past, I have a feeling this will be the turning point (crossing my fingers).
4. Culture: I love learning new cultures, the food, the music, the people. It will all be great.
5. Visits: *Cough* Mom? Dad? Anyone feel like taking a vacation? ;)

So as I sit in yet another airport, I still don't feel like I have wrapped my head around being in Peru in 11 hours. It will hit me as I lay, exhausted, in the bed my host family tells me is mine and hopefully I will be able to get some sleep (because this cold is really kicking my butt right now).

Goodbye for now, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment