Thursday, March 24, 2016

Tip: Don't Get Lost in Sketchy Neighborhoods


This is from the last post but I just got the picture and it makes me happy :)

St. Patrick's Day was quite the event.
First, my host dad guilted convinced me into waking up at 5am to go pick up yet another new host sister from the airport. So my day started very early, but Anna is from Oklahoma and is super sweet! I'm excited to get to know her in the month I have left!
For class we headed to Central Lima to see the changing of the guards, which I never ended up getting to see. This begins the Week of Lost Shelby. Mariah, Purina, Gabi and I hopped in a cab an hour and a half before the changing of the guards started at noon. This was the first female cab driver I had seen in Lima so that was pretty exciting, but she took us through some back roads and some sketchy parts of Lima. She would point out the window and tell us that that is one of the poorest parts of the city...cool. Then we sat in traffic for a solid 40 minutes maybe moving a maximum of 4 blocks that whole time. We were only about 6 blocks away from the Presidential Palace at this point so we kept asking if we could walk from here and she said "no, we are very close" alright. It is now after noon and the changing of the guards has started. We wait in the steaming hot taxi in a part of the city none of us had ever been to before until we got to a gate that was closing the road we needed to take. We decided to get out here and walk the rest of the way because the traffic was making us all way too annoyed. We walked through the gate and then got to another gate where some police officers said we could not pass and had to walk around this other huge building. So we started walking. And walking. And walking. We were not sure when we would be able to turn to go around this building because we passed another closed street. We walked deeper and deeper into the neighborhood we knew nothing about. Now, by this point in my study abroad I am used to being yelled at and whistled at. It happens so often that, just like the constant noise of car alarms, I don't really pay attention to it anymore. But during this walk, it was bad. Very bad. We were all holding onto our purses and I was walking as fast as my little legs could carry me. We walked down a street where on the other side of the road were upwards of 20-30 men standing and leaning against the building. They proceeded to yell and scream and make a large ruckus as we hustled along the other side of the road. This was terrifying. Having that many people at once was new to all of us, so we kept our heads down and moved along. We eventually got to the part of Central Lima that we had been to before and we relaxed a little as we just caught a glimpse of our group going into a large church as we made it to the square. We were finally safe. After looking at the church we all headed to another square, then to China town for lunch. I was starving and about ready to punch a wall out of hunger, so we found a really delicious Chinese restaurant that had lunch for only about $4! Score!!
We then headed to supposedly a hotel that has the "Best Pisco Sour" to begin our St. Patrick's Day celebrations (unfortunately it was one of the worst pisco sours in my opinion). We spent the next few hours at an Irish bar before heading to Emi's to pregame a little before the club. I did not make it to said club, instead I decided to walk around the city all night talking my little heart out with Emi's boyfriend.
China Town
We like free drinks- thanks Starbra <3
The worst "Best Pisco Sour"

Friday we went our college's International Student Orientation (for the students starting school this week- their summer just finished last week, so we're on a different schedule) then spent some time at Claire's pool. We headed to Miraflores to go back to the amazing sushi restaurant we ate at a few weeks ago and wandered around hoping to run into it. Which we eventually did, and it ended up being closed for another 45 minutes. Just my luck. So instead we went to Chili's and our server was racist and rude to us the whole time. We complained to the manager about being ignored and having all of our food messed up and how rude our server was and apparently the server's excuse was that he "didn't speak any english." That is not an excuse to be rude to us because we never once spoke in English to him, I even asked him a question in Spanish, but apparently that was not enough to treat us with respect. Instead he joked around with the table right next to us and had someone else come fling ketchup on our table. We ended up getting a free dessert out of it so it didn't end up too bad.

Sunday I went with my host parents and foreign sisters to the pool where we all got burnt to a crisp. I am still nursing my tomato-red stomach, but my legs did me proud and turned into a tan instead of nasty peeling. After the pool, as a family, we went to an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant. Let me say that again for emphasis: ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT SUSHI. Good? Okay. It was amazing and I am not able to remember how many I ate, but I could barely walk back to the car. It was so delicious and somehow I even fit a few dessert sushi rolls in there at the end. Ice cream wrapped in crepe with fudge on top. Omg.
Before the burns
Leche de Tigre ("Tigre's Milk") is so delicious
Barra Libre= All You Can Eat!!
I love my parents lol
The dessert sushi :))

Tuesday night a few of us went to Parque de Las Aguas which was so cool. There were water shows with lights and water tunnels and fun stuff. I need to go back so I can enjoy it to the fullest potential, and not when I'm hungry.
Ice Cream dates are fun
I didn't get to see the whole show...
...which just means I have to go back again...
...right?
You could walk inside this one!
Aren't we beautiful?
Nah this is a better view
Water tunnel!!!!
So majestic

Other than that, my week hasn't been too exciting. I've eaten sushi 2 more times since Sunday because why not. And I bought my tickets for my TRIP TO THE AMAZON!!! Just wait for that exciting blog post because there are so many animals I will see and (Im going to swim with dolphins...I will 200% cry).

No comments:

Post a Comment