Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Holy Week Was Good to Me

This past weekend was Semana Santa, where instead of celebrating Easter like most Christian/Catholic countries, everyone goes on vacation. They get Thursday and Friday off of school and work and head out of town. So we did the same. A few of us packed up our backpacks and crammed in a bus to Punta Hermosa to enjoy the beach. We stayed with one of Danielle's friends and the apartment was packed. Thursday night we just hung out in the apartment waiting for everyone to arrive (and celebrating me getting a job offer:)!!!). And then Friday we went to the beach for a little bit and Emi and I went exploring on the beach. We found this really amazing cave and little door into the mountain that I took maybe 100 pictures of. We went in the cave and it was all drippy and creepy and damp and it ended up just being an open space. Nothing too exciting. 
How cool does that look??
Even better up close
The cave
The stairway we had to climb a rock to get on
But we still climbed it, of course. We're adventurers!
Me being an idiot in a picture, what's new?

That night we went rode in a cramped van with 13 people for an hour to another beach, Asia. There I ate a terrible burger at their local fast food joint, Bembos, then headed to the overly expensive club. After I bought a bottle of water for an overly expensive 10 soles, Emi and I were ready to go home to sleep. So Danielle, Emi and I waited outside until the rest of the crew was ready ro head back. 
Saturday we woke up super early because, even though we went to bed around 3, apparently Peruvians don't sleep. So the music was blasting by 8 am. We got up for a lazy day, but it was Emi's 21st birthday so it was a good one!! We walked to the stores a few times and ate dinner at a little restaurant before getting ready to go to another club in Punta Hermosa that night. We got a box in this club so it was a lot of fun and they played American music for a little bit, which always pumps us up. Then we all salsa-danced the night away. I had a really great night and almost made it to see the sun rise, but I missed it by about 30 minutes. So going to bed at 4:30 and being woken up at 9 did not make for a happy Shelby. But Danielle and Emi made some bomb grilled cheeses and we were on our way back to Lima. We made some really good friends this weekend and everyone was so nice and welcoming!! Us Americans also had a weekend full of practicing our Spanish (although we did cheat a few times and speak English with the Peruvians as well). 
Angelo! And Cristina! 2 awesome people I met this weekend
Hey thanks for letting me borrow your clothes. Love you <3

Happy birthday to my hair-flipping child
I wish I would've gotten a picture with the tall furry blue hat she was sporting all weekend
I have beautiful friends :)

The rest of the week has been pretty normal...I've had sushi 3 days in a row, which makes me a very happy camper. Other than that, just livin the normal Lima-life! Not quite ready to come home and it's stressing me out, especially since I have a new job so it's like real life I have to go start. Woah. I'm so excited about this job though. Seriously. And not just because it's a job, it's exactly what I've been looking for!! Not only is it a non-profit, but an internation and well known non-profit!! And I'll be both marketing and fundraising (which are two different jobs I was looking for in one!) and a bonus of overseeing event planning for fundraising events!! I am beyond blessed to recover this job at the start of my career with a boss I think I'm really going to get along with (from how the interview went). 

And to add to all of that happiness, my mom arrives a week from today!! Then the next weekend in the Amazon swimming with dolphins and playing with monkeys, then the following weekend my dad arrived for a few days in Lima as well! I'm quickly running out of time and becoming very busy, but that's what the last few weeks of vacation college is for right??

No comments:

Post a Comment